We invite you to apply for an opening with the Jefferson County Coroner's Office as a Grant Funded Coroner Investigator.
The grant funding for this position is available through December 2024, but may have a possibility for extension, or the opportunity to apply for a full-time position.?
The Coroner Investigator I is the entry-level position in the Investigator series. Under general supervision of the Coroner, and direct supervision of the Chief Deputy Coroner, the Coroner Investigator I will focus on adapting to office policies and procedures while also adhering to state/federal laws in performing medicolegal death investigations and associated work in a comprehensive manner; involving medicine, public health, criminal justice, and community service; fulfilling the vision of the Coroner, mission of the office, and related statutory responsibilities.?
The work involves conducting comprehensive investigations into deaths, researching related facts, and producing highly accurate investigation reports. The Coroner Investigator is responsible for pronouncing death and notifying appropriate agencies and next-of-kin regarding deaths within the Coroner's jurisdiction. The Coroner Investigator is also responsible for drawing and submitting toxicological specimens, maintaining investigative equipment, and keeping detailed records.??
This position may require testifying in court for criminal and civil cases.?
Schedule: Schedule will include three 12-hour shifts, overnight with shift differential. Hours worked between 9pm and 6am will have a shift differential of $3.33 per hour.
Compensation: $26-$33 USD Hourly
Compensation will be determined based on education, experience and skills
Benefits include dental, medical, and vision insurance, paid time off and holidays, retirement matching, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules, remote work options and more. Click Here for our Total Rewards summary.??
- General responsibility for conducting death investigations in accordance with state/federal laws and office guidelines.
- Field phone calls and pages to the office with reports of death
- Must establish jurisdiction and determine appropriate course of action to ensure a thorough, comprehensive medicolegal death investigation.
- A report must be written on all cases for legal documentation.
- Responds to death scenes when needed.
- Establish time of death.
- Determine a possible preliminary cause of death.
- All scenes must be documented with photographs and a written description of the circumstances to include a detailed technical description of the body.
- Custody of the body will be determined by the deputy coroner who will advise if the body will be transported to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office or released to a mortuary of the next of kin’s preference.
- Evidence (to include the body) must be packaged correctly, and appropriate chain of custody must always be maintained.
- Positive identification must be completed before release of remains.
- Assistance from other deputy coroners may be used.
- Identify legal next-of-kin and make notification of death for county deaths.
- Consults with families, witnesses, medical professionals, law enforcement personnel, and others to obtain statements and related evidence. Analyzes information and prepares investigative reports accordingly for legal documentation.
- Consoles families through the death and grieving process, and guides family through the coroner process.
- Maintains continuing education units for the ABMDI or establishes ABMDI certification within the first year of hire.
- Gathers, reviews, and analyzes medical/psychological records and legal documents; including but not limited to EMS/Police reports, toxicology records and autopsy reports and summarizes findings.
- Must be able to obtain x-rays, fingerprints, DNA swabs, and collect toxicology; all must be appropriately packaged.
- Maintains daily cooler count of each individual body.
Identify legal next-of-kin and make notification of death for county deaths.
- Other duties as assigned.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups tend to apply only when they check every box in the posting. If you are reading this and hesitating to click “apply” for that reason, we encourage you to go for it! A true passion and excitement for making an impact is just as important as work experience.
- Associate of Arts in criminal justice or related field;?
- Plus, a minimum of one years of death investigation experience?
- OR any equivalent combination of education and experience on a year-for-year basis.?
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, physiology, anatomy, biology, or related field.?
- 3 years of death investigation experience?
- Experience working with a Coroner or Medical Examiner office
- Medical background (such as nursing,?paramedic/EMT, pharmaceutical, medical technician, hospital medical staff, laboratory, etc.)?
- Must have basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, psychology, medical terminology, and technical report writing.??
- Certification (D-ABMDI) with the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators is required within one year of hire.
Additional Job Information:
- Offer of employment contingent on criminal background, MVR check, and education verification.??
- CJIS Certification required at time of hire.??
- Must possess a valid State of Colorado Driver's License at date of hire.? Safe driving record through the State of Colorado.
- Please note that supplemental questions requiring a written response will serve as a writing sample.??
How to Apply:???
Applications will be accepted electronically at Jefferson County Colorado Career Opportunities.??
Applicants complete an online form and have the option to provide a resume and detailed cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for the position. Applications are reviewed for minimum qualifications listed in the qualifications section of the job bulletin, and applicants are contacted directly by the hiring team regarding next steps. To view the status of your application or direct communication from the hiring team, please log into your candidate portal.???
For more details on the recruitment process, please visit https://www.jeffco.us/1860/FAQs??